With its objective of generating income for local charities and good causes, the Wootton based Phoenix Choir has to date raised more than £12,500. Beneficiaries have included the Earl Mountbatten Hospice, Parkinsons UK, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance, Prostate and Urology Cancer Support and Help for Heroes. Under the musical direction of Robin Burnett, who writes the choral rrangements, the 50-strong mixed community choir sing a wide range of songs under the banner of ‘From Pavarotti to Presley’. Their signature tune is ‘Music’ (John Miles 1976) and their current repertoire includes songs from popular musicals, traditional and modern classics spanning more than 100 years.
Members’ ages range from their 20’s to their 90’s and, as can be seen from their website, come from all walks of life.The choir’s first concert in 2014 will be at All Saints Church, Ryde in aid of the Dais Fund. The concert commences at 7.30pm and there will be retiring collection. They hope that this worthwhile cause will be well supported.
Their programme that evening will include:
– O Sole Mio/Its Now Or Never (hybrid song Pavarotti/Presley)
– Speed Your Journey (Nabucco)
– I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables)
– For The Beauty Of The Earth (hymn arr. John Rutter)
– New York New York (Sinatra)
– Take That Look Off Your Face (Tell Me on a Sunday)
– The Phantom of the Opera (title song)
– You Raise Me Up (Westlife)
– The Battle Hymn of the Republic
and our signature tune ‘Music’,
Further details of the choir, concert venues, can be found at www.phoenixchoir.org.uk