Priory School, in its new home at Whippingham
Priory School, founded in 1993 out of the Junior School at Upper Chine, the oldest independent school on the island
from the last century, moved in February 2012 to its new home at Whippingham, one of the most historic buildings
connected with education on the Isle of Wight, built by Queen Victoria to the designs of Prince Albert in 1864.
The growing numbers of staff and workers on the Osborne Estate prompted Prince Albert to look at proving
education for their children. Literacy levels at the time were very low. The pioneer of so much in terms of public education in the 19th Century – the Great Exhibition of 1851 stands out – Prince Albert designed the school to replace the
National School that stood on the site at Whippingham since 1848 and had been an initiative of the Vicar of St
Mildred’s.These origins – church concern and public philanthropy – are very much in accord with Priory School’s own Christian ethos which sees education, certainly in England, as arising out of the view that all of us are the children of God, and of equal dignity and worth. www.prioryschool.org.uk